Saturday, June 4, 2011

Craigslist and Thrift store Jackpot!

DING      DING      DING

That's the sound of me hitting the jackpot with Craigslist.  We were finally able to score a nice dining set off of Craigslist.  Normally I would consider a dining room set low priority but after trying to eat soup on a low kitchen counter I bumped it up to high priority.  I had been stalking the CL ads for about a week now and had a few leads that never amounted to anything.  One lead however popped up again on CL. This time I had Jimmy make an offer as my first low ball offer did not go so well.  Luckily we were able to score a practically brand new 5 piece dining set for $150.  That's crazy!!!

The couple we bought the dining set from is a very young and nice asian couple.  They had originally moved from the East coast to the West coast and are now moving overseas.  They took care of their stuff!  They used plastic saran wrap and seat cushion covers over the seat cushions as well as a table cloth for the table top.  The wife was also every meticulous about putting the original styrofoam corner covers back on the table for our move.  So all in all I think we got a dining set that could easily go for $500 retail for $150.  A savings of $350.

Craigslist Dining Set $150

Our next shopping spree started off as a bust.  I had googled some "vintage" stores in the bay area and found two that I though was promising.  The first one we pulled up to was lame.  We took a 5 min stroll through the tinny tiny store and then left.

The second store had some gems.  I found two clutches/purses and a shoe rack.  (I'm not going to post a picture of the shoe rack b/c that's boring.  I did get it for $2 though!)  One of the purses I bought is a beautiful white beaded vintage item.  Unfortunately there are some noticeable stains in the front.  The stains appear to be coffee or some sort of liquid stain.  I'm going to try OxiClean or bleach on it.  For $3.00 its worth a shot.

Vintage cloth clutch $3.50

Vintage Beaded Purse $3.00 (needs some stain removal)

Our next stop was the Goodwill down the street from where we live.  I actually found a ton of stuff I was thinking about buying but had to edit what I took due to not having a shopping cart :-p.  I found another purse/clutch that I thought was cute.

Black Beaded Purse/Clutch $6

The next two things from Goodwill are clothing items. I've had good luck in the past finding nice designer items for dirt cheap.  Today I found a French Connection tunic for $7.99.  Initially I thought $7.99 for a simple white tunic was a little pricy but it was so cute.  Then I noticed that the original tags were still on it and I was pretty surprised at what the retail price was.  Originally $118.00 on sale $89.99.  Obviously someone had purchased this in hopes of wearing it some day, but never got around to it.  Bonus for me!  A NEW shirt for $7.99 is reasonable.

French Connection Tunic $7.99

Next I found this awesome blazer from Ralph Lauren.  Its a brown linen material and fits like a glove.  I paid $9.99 for it and I googled a similar jacket and found it for $189.00.  I got this jacket for less than sales tax!  lol.

LAUREN by Ralph Lauren Blazer $9.99

Here's a picture of the overall shopping haul today:



Oh yeah.  I also got my California drivers license today.  I had no idea I was channeling a retro look when I took my picture that day.  What's up with the hair??? lol.


Well that's all for now.  I've finally gotten out of my funk.  Shopping helps especially when I get good deals :-)  Hopefully I will be able to apply for jobs soon and I'll be spending MY money :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment