Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Shellac or not to Shellac, there is no question!



Last week my friend Cara and I went to Hollywood Nail Salon to get a french tip Shellac manicure.  Wow... what an investment.  Cara was much smarter than me and opted to just get the Shellac polish ($30) while I went ahead and got the manicure with Shellac polish (I had multiple broken nails - $40).

Let's just say customer service at this salon was lacking... in a big way.  Any stereotype you can think of that goes along with nail salons was portrayed to the T here.  Its okay, I can say this, cuz they're my people!

I digress.

Anyways, french tip Shellac nail start of similar to that of a normal manicure.  The exception is the use of the UV lights they use to dry the gel polish between coats.  I literally felt that I was going to get a sun burn after sticking my hand in that machine for 15 minutes.  Yikes.  All in all the final product was good, for me.  I haven't had any problems with chipping or my gel popping off (I had Axxium OPI gel once and it was worthless.  It popped off like Lee Press on Nails... ghetto).  There are minor stress fractures at the tip on the pain on my index finger, but this is within reason considering I have a constant problem of my nail breaking at that exact spot.  After a week the polish looks like it can hold up longer.  Shellac advertises that it can hold up for 3 weeks.  The dried gel feels similar to acrylic as it is very hard and shiny immediately after the manicure process is completed.

I feel like the Shellac helps promote nail growth as it prevents breakage, a problem I recently had due to a very bad manicure.

Color is okay.  I feel like the white appears to have yellowed a little, but I can't tell if that's dirt, makeup, or just the gel changing colors.  Its very minor and only noticeable if you sit and stare.

All in all I would definitely do it again and maybe forever.  I'm addicted to how nice my nails look.  And luckily, since they are NOT acrylic and I can wear this polish to work.  Yay!

I have not had the please of experiencing the removal process for Shellac yet.  I hear its time consuming and that it has to be done by a professional.

We shall see!

After 1 week

No comments:

Post a Comment